Inspired by the National Portrait Gallery’s Outwin Boochever Portrait Competition, the MVM is excited offer a hometown version of the same as a way to explore the faces of our community through the eyes of others.
The competition deadline was March 31st. All artists who submitted portraits were asked to follow the guidelines listed below.
- The contest is open to the public, ages 15 and up.
- The artwork MUST be a painting, drawing or photograph (no larger than 3′ by 3′)
- The artwork MUST be a new work, created strictly for the purposes of this contest.
- The artwork MUST depict a Martha’s Vineyard resident (year-round or seasonal.) It can also be a self-portrait
- Participants MUST submit a high-resolution jpeg of their artwork (300dpi or higher) no later than February 29th, 2012 for the first round of judging. Please send all images and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring/send to the Museum on a cd or flashdrive. (PO Box 1310, Edgartown, MA 02539)
- The artwork MUST be accompanied by an artist’s statement describing the relationship between the artist and the subject, the subject and the Island, and why this person was chosen by the artist for a portrait (no more than 200 words.
- The entry fee is $25. The Museum will award cash prizes for the winning portraits of the juried contest.
- Michael Hunter – Stylist/owner of PikNik Gallery in Oak Bluffs
- Steve DiRado – Photography Senior Lecturer at Clark University
- Carol Craven – Owner of Carol Craven Gallery
- Francine Kelly – Executive Director Emerita at Featherstone Center for the Arts.
Winning portraits will be on display beginning June 15th, 2012 at the Museum and remain on exhibit until October 6th. People’s choice winners will be on display at Featherstone in October 2012. Stay tuned for dates!